Friday 31 August 2012

Chaos Lord Complete


With only hours to spare, I've completed and photographed my August Oath!

As I mentioned last time, the shading on the armour wasn't blended enough, and the gold didn't contrast enough against its ivory tone.  The shading was easily fixed with layers of thinned down Screaming Skull, as well as some additional White Scar highlights.  The lettering on his chestplate was done by making vaguely rectangular blobs of Dark Flesh, then shaping the letters with strokes and dots of White Scar


The gold received a wash of extremely watered down Sybarite Green to represent the patina of verdigris, which also made it stand out more against the armour.  Final edge highlights of Shining Gold were applied to bring back any definition lost in the wash.
Thin streaks of Dark flesh were applied to the Chaos Lord's mask, skull kneepad and spine/backpack, representing blood constantly weeping from his warped form.  I really like Dark Flesh as a blood colour, the brighter reds look too artificial.  Devlan Mud was carefully applied to the recesses between the spinal segments to add more depth.

Apex has left his left pauldron and arm in the colours of his old Legion as a way of honouring his past.  Starting with a Lich Purple base, I highlighted with increasing amounts of Tentacle Pink, with a couple of Leviathan Purple washes to add depth and smooth the layers.  The base is mixed slate and sand painted black then drybrushed with Shadow Grey, Fenrisian Grey and White Scar, cool colors to contrast with the mostly warm tones of the figure.  The flock is Woodland Scenics Light Green Coarse Turf.

The figure could have really benefited from more time to spend on it, but I learned a few things doing it and it overall matches the original concept I had in my head.  I have another single miniature lined up for next month, no doubt I'll say the same thing about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment